Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Simple Life

We had the great opportunity to head up to Idaho for quick weekend getaway. Tim's brother, Jon, and his family met us in Mink Creek to celebrate little Emma's first birthday. My sister-in-law, Peggy is from Mink Creek and her family seriously lives in the middle of nowhere up this dirt road into a little canyon and their land goes on forever and ever as far as you can see. There was still quite a bit of snow up there, but it was such a warm day so we spent all of our time outdoors. I really wish I would have taken more pictures because it really was incredible. I don't even know how to describe it. There is a lot of history up that little canyon because their family has been there for generations.

This hill was up behind their house. The pictures don't do the beauty or the steepness of this hill justice. We drove the 4-wheeler up the mountain and then Tim and the kids sledded all the way down to where the little river is along the road at the very bottom of the hill. It was seriously huge!

See where the tracks stop? That's where the hill really drops steep!




This is some of their beautiful land!

Tallan would not want to get off the 4-wheeler. We took quite a few rides exploring the canyon and when he woke up this morning in his own bed the first thing he asked for was to go on the 4-wheeler. I told him if he will stop wearing diapers and be a big boy then he can have his own 4-wheeler. I said it out of frustration so I hope he doesn't remember when the time actually comes!

The boys were shooting clay pigeons and after much convincing, we decided not to let the boys show us up.
I may not look the part, but I shot the target!


Peggy and I had a lot of fun trying to make 2 cakes for Emma before we finally gave up and ordered one from the local market.

Happy Birthday, Emma!
They really live the simple life up in Mink Crik (I can talk like them too) and I loved it almost as much as my kids. I can't wait to go back and do it all again!

4 comments:

Kelly and Steve said...

There's a local market in Mink Creek?

laurel said...

This looks so beautiful and fun! I'm glad you had such a great weekend. Hopefully we can try to get together next week. Brad and I might be going to Vegas for my birthday, but I will let you know.

Laina said...

Sounds like fun!

Peggy said...

Thanks for your help with the cakes! I'm glad y'all had a good time. (I take personal offense to Kelly and Steve's comment. :))