Monday, May 28, 2007

Colorado City

We went down to my mom's house in Hurricane before our trip to Powell, and we packed a lunch and went on a hike through a canyon in Colorado City...you know, where the Polygamists live. I have to say I was definitely more interested in watching the people of that small town and how they live. It is such an interesting way of life and I just can't figure it out. There are these huge homes everywhere that aren't finished being built. A lot of them don't have windows and the outsides of the home are just unfinished wood. At one house, I saw two toddlers that could barely walk, playing in a chicken coup. There were no adults in sight! At another house I saw 3 little boys on the roof, again, no adults in sight. I was actually very surprised to see a full size basketball court at one of the houses though. I had always thought they weren't supposed to know anything about the "outside world" including sports. On the way back down, we saw one house that had at least 15 parked vans and trucks. Must have been dinner at the community cafeteria or whatever it was. It's just so crazy though! The adults and children are fully clothed from the neck down. No short sleeve shirts and the women all wear dresses down to the floor. Their hair is always braided or pulled back into this weird bun sort of thing. They definitely stand out in hot southern Utah. I wish I took pictures of the town, but unfortunately I didn't. Next time for sure! For now, here are some pictures of the kids on the hike.


yes, Brooklyn did end up falling down that little waterfall and got completely wet!

No comments: